The Depot’s Donation Dock is open on a limited basis for drop-off donations, no appointment needed
Friday, Saturday and Monday
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE DONATIONS at our dock or doors!
This causes issues with our landlord and is a health and safety problem for our community. If our donation dock is closed please take your items home and return during our open donation hours.
It is also considered illegal dumping!
We are a California Non-Profit 501 (c)(3) organization, so all your donations are tax deductible.
Need help clearing out an entire house or business? Check out our Estate Reuse Services. Your donations keep our doors open and help us make progress towards our organizational mission.
- Arts and Crafts Supplies
- Antique or Vintage items (pre-1990’s)
- Cameras & Components (working or not)
- Egg Cartons, Toilet/Paper Towel Cardboard Rolls, Paper Bags
- Frames, Artwork, Canvases
- Garden Supplies–tools, pots, lawn decor
- Furniture: Wooden, Small (less than 48″w x 24″d x 30″h): End Tables, Nightstands, Bookshelves, Drawers, Patio, Rockers, Framed Mirrors, Chairs, Carts (Please email ahead so we can approve before donation)
- Holiday Decor (Halloween and Thanksgiving Only)
- Home Decor (vases, vintage glassware sets, etc.)
- String lights, musical instruments, working speakers & audio equipment
- Jewelry, Watches, Jewelry Bits
- Kitchenware (quality, unique, vintage, or handmade) Please no broken or chipped dishes!
- Magazines: National Geographics, Art Magazines, Image Heavy. Please no New Yorkers or text only!
- Musical Instruments (acoustic/electric), Musical Instrument Accessories, Sheet Music
- Paper Bags, with handles only!!!
- Paints: Acrylic, Watercolor, Oil, Fabric, Spray Paint, Glazes, Crafts Paints. Please no house paints!
- Party Supplies (in-season holiday)
- Sewing Patterns & Notions
- Feathers, Fake Plants & Flowers
- Board Games
- Typewriters (non-electric only)
CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING (updated- 9/5/21):
- Books (art, coffee table, new, children’s)
- Containers: Tins, Glass Jars, Cigar Boxes
- Garden Supply: No large shovels
- Holiday Supply: Christmas, Valentines Day, New Year, Easter, 4th of July Holiday Supplies
- Ink Cartridges (unopened)
- Small Working Appliances– sewing machines, soldering irons, craft appliances. All electronics must work *immediately* when plugged in!
- Lace or Ribbon
- Media (CDs, DVDs, Audio Cassettes, Records, even 8-Track tapes)
- Office Supply, Stationary, & School Supplies
- Posters, Greeting Cards, Calendars, Postcards, Maps
- Gift Wrap
- Poster Board, Foam Core, Mat Board
- Scrapbooking Gear (stamps, paper, stickers, glitter, etc.)
- Sewing Patterns & Notions
- Shells and Art Tiles
- Small Working Appliances– sewing machines, hair dryers, soldering irons, craft appliances. All electronics must work *immediately* when plugged in!
- Teaching Materials (learning tools, manipulatives, classroom supplies, etc.) Must be current materials.
- Knitting Supplies (Knitting Needles, Crochet Hooks, Embroidery Hoops, etc.)
We are unable to accept the following due to legal or liability risks, safety or hazardous/universal waste concerns, recycling and/or disposal fees:
- Bedding and Pillows
- Binding Machines
- Building Materials
- Books: Text Heavy (novels)
- Containers: Plastic, Tupperware, Tins
- Curriculum (teaching curriculum can be traded in our Facebook group starting in June)
- Curtains/Curtain Rods
- Dishes (solo plates/cups/mugs, plastic dishware, dish racks, etc.)
- Drafting Tables
- Encyclopedias and Outdated Text Books
- Electronics: not limited to: Loose Cords and Cables, Phones, Computers, TVs, Monitors, Toasters, Rice Cookers, Coffee Makers, DVD Players, Heaters, Routers, Printers/Scanners, Phones, Fans, Shredders, Vacuums, etc.
- Fabric Scraps (anything under 1 yard, torn scraps, seam ripped clothing)
- Fireplace Tools
- Furniture larger than 48″w x 24″d x 30″h, anything particle board, upholstered, Ikea
- Glass (Broken or Loose Sheets)
- Hazardous/Flammable materials (House paint/varnish, fuels, solvents, dead batteries, chemicals or chemistry sets, lightbulbs, etc.)
- Healthcare Items: Crutches, Walkers, Intubators, Braces, etc.
- Hardware (Brackets, Switchplates, Hinges, Loose screws/nails/bolts, tools, etc.)
- Media: VHS, Home-recorded Media (VHS or cassettes), Tapes without Cases
- Oversized Plastic Toys
- Paper and Fabric Products with Mildew or water Damage
- Slide Carousels
- Small Appliances– hand mixers, blenders, hotplates, irons, non-working
- Sports Items (Golf Clubs, Used Helmets, Ice Skates, Weight Sets)
- Spray Cans of any kind (spray paints, aerosol cans)
- Stuffed Animals
- Styrofoam and Packing Peanuts
- Tile (Bathroom, Patio, larger than 2”, etc.)
Click here to view our list of acceptable donations as a PDF.
DROP-OFF DONATION GUIDELINES:
Donations are accepted only at the loading dock at the rear of the store, on Shattuck Ave. between 47th and 46th Streets. The Depot Store has a limited amount of storage space and cannot always accept all donations. All donations are subject to approval by our dock staff. The staff will receive your donations and sort through them with you, returning anything we cannot receive at this time. Once you all are finished you will receive a tax receipt upon donation. Please remember to clean and dry all donation materials so that the staff may receive them safely and empty them of all liquids or hazardous materials.
If we cannot take your donation due to overloading, we encourage you to post it on Nextdoor or in your local Facebook Buy Nothing Group to make your materials available to the public and keep them out of the waste stream. We have also provided a list of alternative places that you may donate to. Click here to download a pdf of alternative donation locations.
The Depot’s Donation Dock is open on a limited basis for drop-off donations:
Friday, Saturday and Monday